Monday, February 22, 2016

Transition Space

Above is a plan view of the space I have chosen for my site analysis. I decided on this site because there are many interesting changes within this one area. I have gone into further development when I hand drew this plan and mapped out the different ramps throughout the plan. Leading me to further understand the elevation changes. I then drew two sections shown in the photo below to further my analysis of the site and how these areas transition in vertical view. The red line in the drawing above shows the boundaries that I have selected. These buildings were areas that I found defined the transition space. These areas tended to have physical boundaries that seemed to stop the space visually.

By completing these sections I was able to have a better understanding of the vertical space used within this area. I then began to investigate the site more and fine out what other factors created and defined this transition space.
 
The picture above is a diagram of the materials used within the quad area. There is a distinct grid pattern with the grass on the left section. It then transitions into a large paved area, which then transitions into an open grass area. These materials control the way that people move throughout these areas and also the way they occupy those areas.


These diagrams show the different movement throughout the site, it is very distinctive because of the pattern of the pavement.

 The diagram above shows the usual population of people within the area. On youtube I found a video of the people moving through the space over a large period of time. Throughout this video I noticed that people tended to sit in groups of 2 or even just individually in the area with the grid patterned grass, possibly because there was only room for that amount of people. There did not tend to be a large group of people hanging out in the pavement areas. In the area with large open grass sections there tended to be large groups of people in this section hanging out or playing sports. This is the only area that allows for this type of activity because the grid area does not allow for enough grass space to play sports.

 
Another factor I considered was which spaces seemed as if they contained boundaries. However, after further exploring the section I realized that the boundaries were dependent upon where you were standing on the site. In the case of the reflecting pool, if you were on the higher portion of the elevation then it does not feel like a bounding factor. However, if you are on the lower portion then it seems as if it is a bounding feature.

No comments:

Post a Comment